With so many standing desks on the market – which one do you choose? If you are buying for your new office, you want to make the right choice. There are so many new and exciting options on the market it can be difficult to choose which one is best for you. If you are looking to bring something ergonomically sound to your office, an affordable cardboard standing desk is great option. Here’s some tips and things to think about when buying one for you or your team:
- Posture– a good standing desk improves overall posture and working position. Switching between sitting and standing improves blood flow and overall activity throughout the day. If you think there is a chance your team won’t want a standing desk, invest in an affordable cardboard-based solution.
- Think about your set up – Keep it clean, clear and cutter free. Make sure you have everything in within reach and in a comfortable position. It sounds simple but making sure your laptop is in a good position really helps you work better. How close you sit to your desk will depend on the furniture you have – the following can help:
- Standard chair – you can get these from any good office supplier
- An active chair – shaped to make your body do the work, often with no backrest – you are going to be working hard throughout the day!
- A cardboard standing desk – no chair is needed – keeps you active throughout the day!
- Support your arms– Making sure your arm rests are in the right place are a key part of good ergonomics. Cardboard standing desks generally have two sizes so that your arm rests in the appropriate position. We recommend that your arms are relaxed and at a 90 degree angle.
- Keep your feet firmly on the floor– When using a cardboard desk, we recommend keeping your feet flat on the floor and nice and stable. You can also utilise a standing desk matt, which are available from most good standing desk retailers. When altering the height of your chair, you need to ensure that your feet can reach the floor.
Focus on your Screen
- Tilt your monitor slightly upward– When using a two tiered standing unit, you need to make sure that the monitor is facing directly in front of your face, with your arms at 90 degrees. This will also reduce glare from the screen, decreasing the risk of strained eyes or headaches. It sounds simple but it’s very important!
Why go ergonomic?
Building a comfortable workspace for your employees can provide greater satisfaction in their work and role within your company. Cardboard standing desks are a great way to keep your team happy.
There are a few simple postures exercises you can do while at your desk to help keep your body comfortable and your blood pumping!
- Shrug your shoulders– inhale deeply and shrug your shoulders – do this 20 times, breathing deeply, you’ll feel more relaxed
- Big hug– give yourself a hug, stretching your arms as far as they’ll go – do this 10 times.
- Stand up, sit down– simply stand up and sit down, without using your hands to help push you up – this keeps blood circulating around your legs
- Leg lift– raise your legs up together underneath your desk, repeat 10 times!